Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Story to Tell...

I am just sitting at a meeting- routine really- with a client or colleague when the discussion comes up.. “you’re going on vacation- when?? Where??” “An RV trip to the mid-west- really?” I then launch into my now well rehearsed tale about our upcoming trip, the planning, the building excitement, the destinations, the whatevers. The typical response is either “good luck brother” (less often) or “that’s really cool, I’d love to do that someday” (more often).

Of course, there are the usual expected comments like: Do you know how to drive an RV (Yes); have you seen the movies ‘National Lampoon’s Vacation’ (Yes, many times, one of my favorite goofy movies) or ’ RV’ (Yes)?? How about: “Will you see the world’s biggest ball of twine?” (No). “Do you know the people that you are going with really well?” (Of course, I think so anyway). “Are you nuts”? (Maybe) and, who can forget “Going to Wally World?” (No).

I think that the idea of an epic RV trip like this one draws us back to our roots as great explorers and risk takers. That is what makes it almost universally appealing.

There will be nothing primitive about this trip, but we certainly will have the exploring part down pat.

You see, part of the fun is telling the story. We will have many more stories to tell as we commence our voyage. We hope you will follow along on this blog, and comment if you want. We look forward to hearing from you.

George

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, I know I've given you a lot of grief on this, but I do hope you have a great time. But I do have to admit I'm in the "good luck brother" category. I think the Junkins are great folks, so I don't think it's them you need to worry about. But we all know the little misfortunes that can occur, of course, then it wouldn't be an adventure, now would it? Have fun and I'll be checking in. When do you install the webcam? :)

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete