Packing.
It's always the most difficult part of going away. What sub-set of your life do you want to bring with you? What things are critical, and what unnecessary?
What kind of clothing will I need to have? Will it be hot, cold, wet, snowy? OK, the Mid-west in July PROBABLY won't be snowy.
Will we go out to dinner at a posh restaurant, or will all of our days be spent in comfortable living at campsites?
And the most critical question of all, will we be able to do laundry sometime so I don't have to pack 14 distinct different sets of clothes?
Men and women pack differently, I have observed over the many years of travel with Kathy. For me, over a 7 day vacation, 4 pairs of shorts, exactly 7 shirts, 7 sets of underwear and socks, and two pairs of shoes are essential. I add one pair of jeans, one sweatshirt, and I'm good to go. Multiply all of that by two or three (why do you need all those shoes, I ask) and that is Kathy's packing... for a three day weekend.
On the other hand I must admit I bring along quite a lot of additional paraphernalia. Chargers or power cords for cell phone, camera, computer, razor, iPod, iHome, GPS, etc., plus connector cords to get them all to talk to each other. Painting and drawing supplies. Games (five or six card decks). Books to read (like I really will have time to finish all 7 of the Harry Potter books in just 14 days!).
Speaking of things to read, we should tally onto Kathy's packing list the following: Us, People, National Enquirer, 2 more back issues of People, Better H&G, Rachelle Ray Everyday, one smut novel, Cooking Light, Cosmo ... I get a hernia just carrying her beach bag.
Realistically, I could fill up this 31 foot RV with my stuff alone. But I have to share the space with six others.
My work, today, is challengingly set before me.
Ken
Saturday, July 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment