I am thankful to my family and friends for indulging me in my visit to my childhood home in Parma Heights Ohio. It was on our way to downtown Cleveland, and so not much of a detour.
When we think back on our childhood, we usually remember places and things in a much different scale than it really was. Maybe this is because we ourselves were smaller. My High School was smaller, my house was smaller, my neighborhood was smaller. The street that I walked each day to elementary school, the one with thousands of houses and millions of cracks I had to avoid stepping on in order to spare my mother's back, was hardly longer than our RV.
The trip into Cleveland was along a newer super-highway, one which didn't exist when I lived here. The skyline has changed as well. The once dominant "Terminal Tower", a terminal port built in the 20's for derrigibles, is dwarfed by a skyline much the same as Wm. Penn on top of city hall is now dwarfed by Philly mega-scrapers.
The Rock and Roll hall of fame was wonderful to visit and I highly recommend it for anyone who loves modern music. My friend Gregory D. Jr. would have loved the two storey Springsteen exhibit, and his father (my boss) would have loved the displays of many of the rockers I know he is fond of listening to.
We forwent a lake and river tour of the city to spend more tim in the R&R Hall, and now are pleasantly enjoying our chicken dinner back at camp.
Tomorrow we head to Wisconsin.
Ken
Sunday, July 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment