Friday, April 10, 2009

Wondering, Are We A Good Fit?

I'm sitting here by an open campfire, blogging. That seems a bit like a contradiction, but the night is relatively calm and peaceful (new trailers have rolled in for the holiday weekend, and a few kids are jibber-jabbering, and I am hopeful their bedtime is soon) and I have had a rather satisfying day.

We awoke with a purpose today. Our goal was to have an organized breakfast of bacon and eggs, get showered and dressed, and clean up and pack up the RV, as if we were heading out to the next camp stop. Instead, we headed out at about ten of noon to go to QVC and the studio tour of the premiere home shopping network. I'm hopeful that others will relate our experience (Kathy and I have been there before).

Each time we have gone out together, to Longwood gardens, or to QVC, we have passed by oldest son Adam's restaurant, Sovana Bistro in Kennett Square, an up-scale establishment where he has been a general manager for several years. As we pass, Logan or I texted him "We're driving by now", and each time he has passed our campground, going home at night or driving to work in the morning, he texted "I'm driving by now". On our way home from QVC we pulled the RV into the parking lot. One of Adam's co-workers was cleaning the front windows and saw us. She turned to Adam and said, "This is very strange. A big RV is parked out front, and I feel as if they are watching us like we are animals in a zoo!" Adam came out, very surprised to see us, but happy.

We asked him where our appetizers were.

I reflect on our day together as I sit by the fire while Logan, Stephanie and Chrissy cook banana boats in the coals, Charlotte and Kathy clean up (their kaper duty, not my expectation of what the women folk should be doing) and George and I enjoy having just cooked and served up a perfect steak and potatoes dinner.

I am contented, camping with my family and friends. Calm and peaceful in my heart and my mind (while the world jibber-jabbers before its bedtime). And my contentment leads me to believe that if these six friends, family really, can accept me for who I am, then our two week trip this summer can be very successful, and life fulfilling.

I look forward to it.

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment