The RV is surprisingly comfortable for seven people. Kathy, Logan and I owned a 27 foot Hunter sailboat for several years that we often stayed overnight on, both in the marina and anchored at bay . Compared to that, this RV, at 31 feet (even considering the four feet or so removed for engine compartment) is a mansion. Kathy says that sleeping in the "cab-over" bunk, though still confining, is much more spacious and less claustrophobic than the V-berth or even the master berth of the Hunter. And considering that we must climb up and down a ladder to get in and out (i.e. make night trips), I tend to agree that this RV is quite a bit more comfortable than my beloved sailboat.
Working in the kitchen, or sitting at the setee, moving from the front to the back, we are almost never squeezing by each other apologetically. Even traveling with the "bump-out" in, there is a spaciousness to the RV that keeps us from feeling cramped.
Back in the early 1980's, after my sister and I had had moved out and on to college, my mom and dad would frequently visit Longwood Gardens. My mom loved it so much that my father bought her annual memberships. She would go there several times a week, alone or with her girlfriends, for lunch and meditative walks. I can see why she loved it so much, and was fully reminded of her durring our visit today.
Kathy and I have come here a couple of times, usually at night, and usually in winter. Our first time was one Christmas day, after dropping our younger children off for holiday visitation to their respective other parents. We walked in the snowy night throughout the Gardens, marveling at the lighted trees, and at the pointsettia displays in the Conservatory.
It is quite a wonderful change for us to see the Gardens in the spring, with daffodills and tulips blossoming everywhere, trees flowering, and fountains fountaining.
The Duthikins gathered around the carrilon tower awaiting the 4:00 chimes. When the tower rang the hour we all were pleased, and Charlotte stood and proclaimed, "I only wish they rang a bit more on the hour so that we could hear some of the variety of songs possible from the (32 bell) tower."
Promptly the bells launched into "Here Comes Peter Cotton Tail" followed by a beautiful rendition of "In Your Easter Bonnet".
Thinking she had a good thing going, I stood in the exact same spot as Charlotte as the last peal of the bells echoed in the distance, raised my arms as she had done, and also wished, "I only wish I had a thousand dollars!"
Charlotte's wish came true. Mine did not.
Ken
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment